Reports suggest Western military intervention in full swing
Source: Steve Watson
French, British and Turkish military sources have suggested that elite British soldiers have entered Northern Syria and are operating ten kilometers inside the country in what is thought to be the first offensive western intervention against the Assad regime.
“Our military sources estimate that the British military drive into Syria, if confirmed, is designed to establish the first safe zone along the Syrian-Turkish border, to be followed by more Western military incursions to establish additional zones of safe asylum in other parts of Syria.” reports the Israeli intelligence website Debkafile.
The site notes that sources have indicated that any such further coordinated action is to be determined based upon “Syrian, Russian and Iranian (+ Hizballah) responses to the initial stage of the operation.”
The same sources also indicate that Syrian government forces and the rebel opposition are fighting in two Damascus suburbs, Qudsaya and Hammah.
The sources have indicated that the attacks are targeted at the presidential palace of Bashar al-Assad and the compound of the presidential guard.
Reports of clashes and overnight shelling in the capital have been corroborated by the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Russian President Vladimir Putin warned Tuesday morning that Western military intervention in Syria would not be tolerated by Moscow, and that Russia would act decisively to prevent it.
Debkafile also notes that the perceived double offensive against Assad began just hours before the NATO “consultation” in Brussels on the shooting down of a Turkish warplane by Syria last Friday.
“The two-pronged operation – the reported British incursion and major clash at the front door of Assad’s presidential palace – would appear to be designed to widen the cracks in his regime and speed its final breakup.” the report states.
The website’s sources have proven accurate in the past.
Back in February reports emerged suggesting that British and Qatari troops were operating inside Syria, directing rebel ammunition deliveries and overseeing the battle for the strategic city of Homs.
Debkafile, reported that British troops are already in Syria leading armed groups, and that the MI6 has established four centers of operation in the city.
The British government denied that it was carrying out any clandestine operations within the country. “These reports are untrue. There are absolutely no British troops on Syrian territory at the moment,” an embassy official said at the time.
Earlier this month more reports emerged indicating that Britain was planning to set up refugee camps inside Syria under a humanitarian pretext, when in reality the operation was a cover for assisting armed rebels fighting against the government.
It also emerged this month that Emissaries from the Free Syrian Army (FSA) have held meetings with high level U.S. government officials in Washington. The CIA, MI6 and Mossad supported rebels consulted with Obama’s National Security Council and presented a shopping list of heavy weapons, including surface-to-air missiles.
Debkafile also reported that Barack Obama has told the US Navy and Air Force to prepare air strikes on Syria as part of a “no fly zone” that will be enforced with the aid of British and French military power.
“Their mission will be to knock out Assad’s central regime and military command centers so as to shake regime stability and restrict Syrian army and air force activity for subduing rebel action and wreaking violence on civilian populations,” the report reads.
If launched, US air strikes on Syria will be undertaken without Congressional approval, just as Obama green lighted the attack on Libya with a churlish disregard for the constitutional process. US Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta has repeatedly stated that Congressional authorization for a military assault on Syria will not be sought by the Obama administration, which considers NATO and the UN to be the supreme authority.