At about 1 a.m. Wednesday, a St. Louis County Police officer shot and critically wounded a man who police said pointed a handgun at the officer near the intersection of West Florissant and Chambers Road.

The shooting happened near Chambers and Sheffingdell Court, not far from the site of protests against police over Saturday’s fatal shooting of Michael Brown. The location is in unincorporated St. Louis County, less than a mile from the QuikTrip in Ferguson that was looted and burned Sunday night.

Police said they received a call reporting about four to five men in the area armed with shotguns and wearing ski masks. They also got reports of shots fired in the area. Police officers arrived and saw “multiple subjects running,” said police spokesman Officer Brian Schellman.

An officer approached one of the men, who pulled a handgun on the officer, Schellman said. The officer then fired, Schellman said.

Police said they recovered the handgun at the scene. The man was taken to a hospital.

Officers cleared the shooting scene shortly before 5 a.m. By 6:30 a.m., the streets were quiet and school buses were running.

Tayonda Garrett and her daughter Dazira Moody, 4, walked past the bloody aftermath of the shooting in the Woodlands Apartments parking lot on their way to Dazira’s school.

Garrett said she had been home at the time of shooting and heard four shots, then saw men running.

Police had not released any additional information on the shooting by 10 a.m. Wednesday, including the man’s name, age and condition.

UPDATED at 1:15 a.m.

About 12:20 a.m. Wednesday, a woman was shot in the head in the 1300 block of Highmont Drive, west of West Florissant Avenue near the QuikTrip gas station, St. Louis County Police said. It appeared to be a drive-by shooting and police said they were looking for four or five men. The woman was shot once and is expected to survive. It was unknown if the shooting was related to the protests in the area.

Protesters seemed to have mostly left the area but a crowd gathered at West Florissant and Chambers Road shortly after midnight, facing off with a line of police officers.  Police deployed tear gas into the crowd as they advanced east.

Our earlier story: 

FERGUSON • At two meetings with distinctly different tones, the call Tuesday night was for justice.

Packed houses at two churches heard speakers discuss the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, 18, by a Ferguson police officer on Saturday afternoon — a killing that has rocked that suburb and drawn international attention to St. Louis.

At Christ the King United Church of Christ near Black Jack, speakers included Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, who told the standing-room audience, “Justice must not simply be pursued, but in fact achieved. Instead of burning bridges in anger, we must rebuild them with love.”

The racially diverse audience of about 400, many of whom were ministers, politely applauded the speakers, even Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson, who told them, “I want what you want. I want the truth and I want justice and I want it as soon as possible.”

The other assembly at Greater St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church on Chambers Road east of Ferguson also was standing-room. It also was much louder and less formal — rocking at times — and the audience chanted and cheered as they waited for the Rev. Al Sharpton to speak.