‘There was blood and body parts everywhere’: Terrifying moment ISIS suicide bomber blew himself up in Istanbul airport terminal in Brussels-style attack that left at least 41 dead and 239 injured 

One of the three terrorists that struck at Turkey's Ataturk Airport wields an AK-47 as he conducts his killing spree

Source: Daily Mail

While NATO’s chief has strongly condemned the ‘horrific attacks’, and said Turkey’s 27 allies in the U.S-led political and military organization stand with it.

Jens Stoltenberg, NATO’s secretary-general, said in a statement: ‘My thoughts are with the families of the victims, those injured and the people of Turkey.

‘There can be no justification for terrorism. NATO Allies stand in solidarity with Turkey, united in our determination to fight terrorism in all its forms.

Police evacuated the airport terminal, where terrified holidaymakers had previously been gathering to await news following the blasts. Groups of stranded tourists were left waiting on the pavements outside the airport, while others tried to hail taxis to take them the 12 miles back into the city.

The private DHA news agency said the wounded were being transferred to Bakirkoy State Hospital.

An estimated 30 ambulance crews descended on the stricken airport, as the number of wounded is expected to increase.

A witness told broadcaster CNN Turk that gunfire was heard from the direction of the car park at the airport, which is the largest in Turkey.

Four armed men were reportedly seen running away from the terminal building after the explosions, according to Turkey’s NTV channel, however these reports have not been confirmed.

All flight operation from the airport was suspended, and passengers hoping to travel were kept inside the airport for their own safety where mobile phone footage captured scenes of terror and confusion as crowds gathered in corridors awaiting news.

Around the time of the attack, Turkish Airlines flights from Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Dublin were scheduled to land.

British Airways passengers on flight BA680 from London Heathrow to Ataturk were returned to the UK following the blasts.

The flight had been due to land at around 11.40pm local time shortly after the explosions.