Home > Pentagon, USA, WORLD NEWS > With new anti-ISIS plan due next week, Pentagon considering U.S. troops in Syria

With new anti-ISIS plan due next week, Pentagon considering U.S. troops in Syria

Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford last year testifying before Congress.

Rex Tillerson, President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for Secretary of State, spoke largely about accountability and honesty from the new leadership during his confirmation hearing before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He said that the “utmost m

C-SPAN

In his first week in office, Trump said he would “absolutely do safe zones in Syria” for people displaced by the violence in order to stem the flow of refugees from the country. Establishing such safe zones would require boots on the ground.

We estimate over 120 countries that provided 45,000 foreign fighters to Syria and Iraq, so that is one element that makes them a transnational threat. Gen. Joe Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

There are currently around 500 U.S. Special Operations forces in Syria, in what Dunford called “about as complex an environment as you can be,” working with Syrian Kurdish and Arab forces to close in on the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa. The Trump administration reportedly scrapped a detailed plan left by former President Barack Obama’s administration that outlined a strategy to train Kurdish forces, provide them with new equipment, and help them retake Raqqa, instead telling the Pentagon to come up with new options.

The head of U.S. Central Command, Gen. Joseph Votel, said on Wednesday that he was “concerned about maintaining momentum” in efforts to defeat ISIS in Syria, and that it could be a possibility to “take on a larger burden ourselves.”

There are approximately 5,000 U.S. troops inside Iraq, with several hundred embedded with Iraqi security forces advancing on multiple fronts on Mosul. Some of those American forces have recently engaged in combat during the battle for Mosul, Air Force Col. John Dorrian told reporters via teleconference at the Pentagon on Wednesday.

“When someone is shooting at you, that is combat. Yes, that has happened,” he said, adding that U.S. troops have “come under fire at different times” and “have returned fire at different times” although he said the intent is for American forces to stay away from the front.

During his confirmation hearing, Mattis spoke in support of an “accelerated campaign” against the Islamic State, although he was not asked about putting troops in Syria. If that is one of the options presented to Trump, indicating that Mattis and Dunford believe that advancing on ISIS more quickly is worth the risk to U.S. troops, it would be a significant break from the Obama administration’s policy.

A successful plan to defeat the Islamic State would need to “cut the connective tissue between regional groups that now form a trans-regional threat … and then working in combination with local and coalition forces to drive the threat down to the level where local law enforcement can deal with that threat,” Dunford said.

The general stressed that the review ordered by Trump is not just a military plan coming from the Pentagon, but a “political-military plan” that involves the State Department, the intelligence agencies, the Treasury Department and others.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: