McDonald’s Serves Deep Fried Lizard with French Fries to Pregnant Woman
When she questioned the restaurant manager later, it is alleged that the McDonald’s staff, instead of taking action, offered her a free meal and a birthday party for kids to cover up the incident.
A four-month pregnant woman in Kolkata, capital of India’s West Bengal state, was served a ‘McLizzie’ along with golden-brown French fries at a local McDonald’s restaurant.
Shocked to see the dead reptile, Priyanka Mitra became sick and was rushed to the washroom. When she questioned the restaurant manager later, it is alleged that the McDonald’s staff, instead of taking action, offered her a free meal and a birthday party for the kids to cover up the incident.
Sanjay Mitra, Priyanka’s husband, told The Times of India:
“I’m shocked! I’m concerned about my family’s health. My wife is pregnant. How can McDonald’s be so careless? As soon as I heard about the incident, I contacted Delhi and Kolkata’s McDonald’s office, but they didn’t bother. There’s been no apology; they just want us to send it to them for analysis.”
Priyanka, who had taken her mother, her sister, and her four-year-old daughter to McDonald’s for a treat, told NDTV:
“I screamed and rushed to the washroom to throw up after seeing the lizard in my fries. It was horrible and disgusting. I was like, yuck! Oh my God, this is a lizard in my fries. When I told the outlet manager about the incident, he showed a careless attitude and left with just a sorry. I spoke to the area’s sales manager, spoke to the in-charge but they dismissed it with a neglectful attitude.”
An annoyed Priyanka then took the picture of the deep fried lizard and filed a complaint against McDonald’s at a nearby police station. After the cops temporarily shut down the restaurant, McDonald’s said in a statement:
“We are taking the situation seriously. Immediately upon being made aware of the complaint, we launched a thorough investigation in an effort to gather the facts of the matter… it is still on-going. The officials from Food Safety Authority have also fully inspected our restaurant including the kitchen; and have given us the permission to reopen the restaurant. We are fully co-operating with the authorities involved.”
McDonald’s is no stranger to such shameful incidents. In 2013, a customer in India found a rusted metal screw in his French fries. In 2014, a McDonald’s patron found a shard of human tooth in his French fries. In 2015, pieces of plastic were found in Chicken McNuggets at a McDonald’s restaurant in Japan. In 2016, live worms were found in burgers at two McDonald’s restaurants in Kentucky. And now this…