Liberal Hollywood celebrities are showering Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) with love for casting a decisive vote as one of three Republican Senators who derailed a bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act health care law (Obamacare).
Rosie O’Donnell and Cher actually invoked God to bless McCain for turning on his party and voting against the bill to undo major financial burdens and requirements mandated by Obamacare.
McCain returned to Congress after being diagnosed with a deadly form of brain cancer to cast the deciding vote in a 49-51 loss for Republicans.
Rob Reiner and Elizabeth Banks hailed McCain as a “hero,” while other liberal celebrities heaped gratitude and respect on the Republican who voted their way. Here are their tweets:
- Elizabeth Banks (Actress, 2.3M followers): “Heroes who care and didn’t carelessly play with Americans’ health — Thank you @lisamurkowski @SenatorCollins @SenJohnMcCain,”
- Rob Reiner (Producer, 193K followers): “Senator John McCain is a man of his word and a true hero. Compassion and heart wins the day,”
- John Legend (Singer/Songwriter 9.6M followers): “Thanks to the Senators who voted to kill that stupid, heartless bill. Let’s stay vigilant. It’s not over.”
- Rosie O’Donnell (Former Comedian/Talk Show Host, 1.1M followers): “COLLINS MURKOWSKI McCAIN thank god for you three hey #GOP find ur souls”
- Cher (Singer, 3.4M followers): “GOD BLESS JOHN McCAIN SUSAN COLLINS ALASKA STRONG,LISA MURKOWSKI”
- Billy Crystal (Comedian, 647K followers): “Great respect to @JohnMccain who put country over party”
- Debra Messing (Actress, 406K followers): “Please @SenateDems and @SenateGOP start fresh and make a Plan that you can be Proud of. Thank you @SenJohnMcCain for standing for [collaboration]”