Home > North Korea, WORLD NEWS > ‘They only understand one thing’: Trump comes out fighting and agrees to ‘military response’ after North Korea celebrates its most powerful nuclear test ever and sparks 6.3 magnitude quake

‘They only understand one thing’: Trump comes out fighting and agrees to ‘military response’ after North Korea celebrates its most powerful nuclear test ever and sparks 6.3 magnitude quake

Source: Daily Mail

Donald Trump has dismissed attempts to ‘appease’ North Korea and warned that the rogue state’s officials ‘only understand one thing’ in a string of tweets following the detonation of a hydrogen bomb in the country.

In a series of messages made around 7:45am Sunday, the president wrote: ‘North Korea has conducted a major Nuclear Test. Their words and actions continue to be very hostile and dangerous to the United States.

‘North Korea is a rogue nation which has become a great threat and embarrassment to China, which is trying to help but with little success.

‘South Korea is finding, as I have told them, that their talk of appeasement with North Korea will not work, they only understand one thing!’

That came as US and South Korean officials agreed to make a military response to the North Korean threat ‘as soon as possible’, Yonhap, South Korea’s biggest news agency reported.

Scroll down for video

Donald Trump made a string of fiery tweets following the test of a hydrogen bomb by North Korea that triggered a massive earthquake in the Eastern country

Donald Trump made a string of fiery tweets following the test of a hydrogen bomb by North Korea that triggered a massive earthquake in the Eastern country

He said that the country had been an 'embarrassment' to China, whom he has long tried to encourage to intervene on America's behalf

He said that the country had been an ’embarrassment’ to China, whom he has long tried to encourage to intervene on America’s behalf

The president concluded with a worrying warning that 'appeasement with North Korea will not work' and that the North Korean government 'only understand one thing'

The president concluded with a worrying warning that ‘appeasement with North Korea will not work’ and that the North Korean government ‘only understand one thing’

The South Korean army took part in military exercises in Paju on Sunday, as the hydrogen bomb test created a 6.3 magnitude artificial earthquake

The South Korean army took part in military exercises in Paju on Sunday, as the hydrogen bomb test created a 6.3 magnitude artificial earthquake

In an early-morning phone call, Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, promised the support and co-operation to his South Korean counterpart. Gen. Jeong Kyeong-doo, Yonhap reported.

Jeong’s office said that the pair had ‘agreed to discuss all military measures against the North’.

It also said that Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, commander of the U.S. Forces Korea and the allies’ Combined Forces Command, agreed shortly after the detonation to take action ‘as soon as possible’.

In a press release, the Joint Chiefs of Staff’s press office warned that the US and South Korea would ‘show their powerful response through action,’ although there has been no confirmation of what that action might entail.

UK foreign secretary Boris Johnson condemned the ‘reckless’ nuclear weapon test and stressed that ‘all options are on the table’ when pressed on military action.

But he warned: ‘The distance between North Korea and Seoul is very very small – they could basically vaporize large parts of the South Korean population even with conventional weapons.’

The hydrogen bomb – which is powerful enough to destroy a city – sparked a powerful 6.3 magnitude earthquake amid an ‘escalating’ nuclear crisis.

The terrifying tremor was detected in the northeast of the country where the Punggye-ri test site is located – but was so strong that it shook buildings in China and Russia.

North Korea usually times its detonations for its national holidays, and so many would have expected a detonation on September 9 – which is North Korea’s Day of the Foundation of the Republic.

Instead, it came during the Labor Day weekend – likely a direct attempt to spite the US, Foreign Policy suggested.

South Korea and the US are now planning 'military action' to be taken against North Korea 'as soon as possible,' according to the Joint Chiefs of Staff

South Korea and the US are now planning ‘military action’ to be taken against North Korea ‘as soon as possible,’ according to the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Yonhap, South Korea's official news agency, reports the quake struck where North Korea's nuclear test site Punggyeri is located

Yonhap, South Korea’s official news agency, reports the quake struck where North Korea’s nuclear test site Punggyeri is located

North Korean state television claimed the country’s sixth nuclear test – 10 times more powerful than its fifth – was a ‘perfect success’ and could pave the way for a frightening new range of missiles loaded with hydrogen bombs.

It added that the underground test – which was directly ordered by leader Kim Jong-un – was a ‘meaningful’ step in completing the country’s nuclear weapons program.

The worrying development comes amid heightened tensions following Pyongyang’s test launch of two missiles in July that potentially could hit major mainland US cities.

The regime frequently flaunts its intercontinental ballistic missile technology and has repeatedly tested hydrogen bombs – but has so far been unable to combine the two into a lethal weapon.

However, Jong-un claims the latest explosive – which seismologists calculated to be eight times as damaging as the Hiroshima nuclear bomb dropped by the US in World War II – could be packed into a warhead and fired towards US territory.

North Korean television today released these photos appearing to show Kim Jong-Un signing the order to carry out the test

North Korean television today released these photos appearing to show Kim Jong-Un signing the order to carry out the test

Kim Jong-Un appears to sign the order asking his scientist to proceed with the test
The order to proceed

Kim Jong-Un (left) appears to sign the order (right) asking his scientist to proceed with the test

 The sudden escalation comes after months of postulating from North Korea and America with a war of words between the two countries spiralling into a series of escalating weapons tests by Pyongyang.

It has seen Jong-un flaunting his military might with increasingly powerful missiles in a bid to scare off his enemies – while branding world leaders ‘puppets’ and bragging that an attempt to locate his missiles was a ‘silly dream’.

Meanwhile Donald Trump had promised ‘fire and fury like the world has never seen’ if North Korea continued to test missiles.

Today’s blast – which was large enough to destroy an entire city – has sparked an international backlash with South Korea pledging to ‘completely’ isolate North Korea and deploy the most powerful US tactical weapons.

In a joint statement, German chancellor Angela Merkel and French president Emmanuel Macron branded the test a ‘new dimension of provocation’ and said the EU and the UN security council must respond.

The earthquake came after North Korea claimed it had developed a more advanced nuclear weapon. Photos released on Sunday show the country's leader Kim Jong-un inspecting a hydrogen bomb

The earthquake came after North Korea claimed it had developed a more advanced nuclear weapon. Photos released on Sunday show the country’s leader Kim Jong-un inspecting a hydrogen bomb

Overhead pictures of Punggye-ri nuclear test site from August 17, published by 38 North, revealed Kim Jong-un could order a test blast 'at any time with minimal advance warning', experts said

Overhead pictures of Punggye-ri nuclear test site from August 17, published by 38 North, revealed Kim Jong-un could order a test blast ‘at any time with minimal advance warning’, experts said

US National Security Adviser HR McMaster spoke to his South Korean counterpart in an emergency phone call following the test, which was seen as a direct challenge to Trump.

The American President had just hours earlier talked to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe about the nuclear crisis in the region.

Abe later slammed the test as ‘absolutely unacceptable’ and said its nuclear and missile programmes now pose a ‘more grave and urgent’ threat to his country.

He added: ‘North Korea’s nuclear and missile development programme is a threat that is more grave and urgent to the safety of our country and has entered a new stage.

‘It is significantly hurting regional and international peace and stability.’

China added that it ‘resolutely opposes’ and ‘strongly condemns’ the test while urging the rogue state to ‘stop taking wrong actions’.

The announcement was delivered by news anchor, Ri Chun-hee (pictured during the announcement Sunday) - who has been making announcements on Korean Central Television for more than 40 years 

The announcement was delivered by news anchor, Ri Chun-hee (pictured during the announcement Sunday) – who has been making announcements on Korean Central Television for more than 40 years

North Koreans are pictured reacting with joy to the news of the latest nuclear test

North Koreans are pictured reacting with joy to the news of the latest nuclear test

Meanwhile Russia urged calm and warned Pyongyang to ‘refrain from any actions that lead to a further escalation of tension’.

Photographs released today appeared to show Kim signing the order to carry out the test blast, which seismologists calculate was eight times as damaging as the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima by the US in World War II.

The shock news was delivered on state television by veteran anchor Ri Chun-hee – who has become the face of North Korean media after delivering major propaganda announcements from the rogue state for the past 40 years.

A statement from the country read: ‘Scientists in the nuclear field of the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] successfully carried out a test of H-bomb for ICBM [intercontinental ballistic missile] in the northern nuclear test ground of the DPRK at 12:00 on September 2, true to the Workers’ Party of Korea’s plan for building a strategic nuclear force.’

Just hours earlier, the country claimed it had developed a more advanced nuclear weapon with ‘great destructive power’.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said it had detected a seismic wave from 12.34pm to 12.36pm on Sunday around Punggye-ri.

The country’s weather agency and the Joint Chiefs of Staff said an artificial 5.7 magnitude quake occurred at 12.29pm local time, in Kilju, northern Hamgyong province, the site where North Korea has conducted nuclear tests in the past.

Seoul officials revised their earlier estimate of 5.6 magnitude quake. The U.S. Geological Survey called the first quake an explosion with a magnitude of 6.3.

South Korea’s presidential office also said it would hold a National Security Council meeting chaired by President Moon Jae-in.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said: ‘It is absolutely unacceptable if North Korea did force another nuclear test, and we must protest strongly.’

China’s earthquake administration detected a second tremor of magnitude 4.6 in North Korea minutes after the first.

It described the event as a cave-in. South Korea’s weather agency, however, said no second quake happened.

Citizens of the North Korean capital Pyongyang gathered around a screen showing the order signed by Kim Jong-Un authorising the nuclear test

Citizens of the North Korean capital Pyongyang gathered around a screen showing the order signed by Kim Jong-Un authorising the nuclear test

Meanwhile in Japan pedestrians were shocked as they walked past a monitor revealing news of the blast

Meanwhile in Japan pedestrians were shocked as they walked past a monitor revealing news of the blast

A US researcher told the BBC that if the earthquake was caused by a nuclear blast, it would be the largest atomic test conducted by North Korea.

Dave Schmerler, of the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, added: ‘We should definitely be alarmed.’

Japan’s Ministry of Defence has dispatched three military jets to test for radiation despite North Korea’s claims that radioactive material did not leak into the environment.

Tremors caused by the nuclear test were at least ten times as powerful as the last time Pyongyang exploded an atomic bomb a year ago, the Japan Meteorological Agency said at a briefing aired by public broadcaster NHK.

The previous nuclear blast in North Korea is estimated by experts to have been around 10 kilotons.

South Korea’s defence committee says the blast was about 100 kilotons – powerful enough to destroy an entire city, BBC reports.

Residents in the Vladivostok in eastern Russia said they felt the tremors.

North Korea conducted its fifth test last September – which also caused a massive earthquake.  

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: