THORNTON – Two people are dead and one was taken to a local hospital after a shooting at a Thornton Walmart Wednesday evening, authorities said.

A report of multiple shots fired came in just before 6:30 p.m. at the Grant Street Walmart location in Thornton, according to Officer Avila with Thornton PD.

Authorities said two men were killed and a woman was taken to a nearby hospital.

A limited lockdown on North Suburban Medical Center has now been lifted, according to a director at HealthONE.

Media staging has been set up and we expect authorities to give out more information shortly. Police can be seen coming and going from the Walmart as they continue to investigate.

There is a large police perimeter set up outside the store – no one is allowed close.

Several ambulances are on scene but 9NEWS crews have not seen any rushing away since they’ve arrived. The injured person has reportedly already been taken from the scene.

While there is a large police presence, authorities do not appear frantic at the time of this writing.

FBI, ATF agents and Aurora SWAT all responded to the scene to assist local officers.

Thornton Police also tweeted to clarify a false media report of an active shooter; there is no active shooter, but there is an active crime scene being investigated. Police are asking the public to avoid the area.

One local resident, Aaron Stephens, spoke to 9NEWS multiple times. He said he was at the self-checkout line when he heard a loud pop.

“At first I thought it was a firecracker,” he said, “but it sounded more – it was louder… I was like, what the heck’s going on? Then I heard two more shots and I freaked out and hit the ground.”

Stephens said he was worried about stray bullets flying around the store. But then he heard a couple more shots and panicked, not wanting to stay there.

“Employees were screaming,” he said. “Customers were running like crazy. And I went out with everybody else.”

He said he panicked, too.

“I didn’t want to die,” he continued. “Here’s Las Vegas happening in Colorado – at that moment all I could think about was my life.

A local mother ran up to 9NEWS’ Steve Staeger crying holding her cell phone. Her son was in the store when the shooting happened and told her he heard multiple gunshots ring out inside.

One father, whose daughter was in the store at the time of the shooting, says he just wants to find her.

“I was going to stop by her house,” said Loyd Diggs to 9NEWS. “She said she was going to shop at Walmart – haven’t heard from her.”

He said it scared him – especially with all the violence in the world right now.

“We never go to this [Walmart],” he added.

Family members are being told to go to the Thornton Police Department to reunite with everyone who was in the store at the time of the shooting.