Source: American-Statesman


A woman in her 70s was injured in the second reported explosion at a home in Austin on Monday, Austin-Travis County EMS said.

Medics were sent out to the 6700 block of Galindo Street, near Montopolis and East Riverside drives in Southeast Austin at 11:49 a.m., EMS said.

The woman was taken to Dell Seton Medical Center with serious and potentially life-threatening injuries.

Another woman in her 80s was being treated for an unrelated medical issue but was not being hospitalized, EMS said.

The incident marks the second reported explosion in the city on Monday and the third in two weeks.

An explosion earlier in the day in the 4800 block of Oldfort Hill Drive in East Austin killed a 17-year-old and injured a woman described as in her 40s.

Hours after that incident, interim Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said that explosion appeared similar and likely related to another explosion in Northeast Austin on March 2.

Authorities on Monday also warned residents against taking suspicious packages inside their homes.

The incidents are being investigated by police and federal authorities, as a homicide, the chief said.

He also said that investigators were not ruling out the possibility of the explosions being a hate crime because the victims in those cases are African-American.

The U.S. Postal Service told investigators that the packages did not come through their facilities, so the packages were likely left by someone at the doorstep, Manley said.

Manley said authorities know what kind of explosive devices were used, but they are not revealing details in order to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

Manley said people can call 911 if they believe they have received a suspicious or unexpected package left at their homes.

“We will not tolerate this in Austin,” Manley said.

Police did not identify the teenager or the woman and have not released any details about the East Austin package.

In the package explosion on March 2, Austin police responded to a home in the 1100 block of Haverford Drive around 6:55 a.m.

First responders took 39-year-old Anthony Stephan House to a hospital, but he died from his injuries shortly after the blast.

Since then, authorities have not named anyone who may have been involved.