There have always been times where we inadvertently put ourselves in precarious situations. In this case, your best bet is to trust your gut. If you don’t feel the situation is right, find the nearest exit and leave the area. We covered some of these times in our most recent article regarding attackers and how to handle them individually or en-masse. In the article, we covered a lot of ground for scenarios that may occur during these “Good Times” prior to a societal collapse or nuclear war. This article is taking those suggestions and applying them in a collapse environment. Before we begin, you must understand that the biggest difference is that in a post-SHTF scenario there are no rules.
In a SHTF world, it’s a different story.
The sad thing with laws and rules is that they only help protect the citizen from the law-abiding citizen: the system focuses on self-discipline and restraint.
7 Ways To Stay Alive in a Post-Collapse Society
As is extensively detailed in The Prepper’s Blueprint: How To Survive Any Disaster, life will definitely be different when the SHTF. You will not be able to rely on the law to protect you; however, you will also not be prosecuted under the law for some superficial or superfluous reason: your life and your family’s lives take precedence. That being said, what do you do? How do you handle these attackers…people that are intent on taking you down and taking what you have? Let’s outline some basics that you can use post-SHTF.
- Never travel anywhere alone: always go in pairs with one to guard and watch over the other one.
- Never go anywhere unarmed: preferably with a rifle or shotgun, a main sidearm (pistol), a backup sidearm/piece, plenty of ammo for all of them, a fixed-blade knife, and a folding (lock-blade) knife at a minimum. Read more about SHTF firearms in this article. Yes, that is a lot of stuff. Let’s make some further suggestions on these. Mossberg 500 series 12 gauge shotgun. .45 ACP main pistol. .22 cal lr revolver or pistol…suppressor is optional but highly recommended. Gerber Mark II fixed-blade knife. Spyderco police model folding knife.
- Never travel anywhere without the rest of the family/group knowing where you’re heading: Don’t mess around with this one. If trouble arises, you cannot go off wandering on your own and expect anyone to come to your aid.
- Consider all strangers armed and potentially dangerous: If you wish to be the “Good Samaritan/Mister Rogers,” this is your choice. After the SHTF, however, the rules are off, and it is (paraphrasing Jack London) back to the Law of Club and Fang.
- Keep your distance when talking to strangers: As President Reagan phrased it so eloquently, “Peace through superior firepower.” Watch their eyes, watch their hands, and conclude your discussion in a businesslike manner. Don’t waste time: get to the point and then get going. Along those lines, pay attention to the way you carry yourself in public. Your body language can be very telling. Predators normally watch their victims before they strike and look for key indicators.
- Meeting strangers: You may wish to have a couple extra people roaming around at a distance to watch for the approach of an ambushing force. Many attacks begin by placing people at ease and using a larger force held in reserve to swoop in when the parlay has begun, and everyone’s guard is down.
- Territory: You need to stake it out, post it (warn others), and enforce the fact that it is your territory. Many times, attackers will be “persuaded” to find a softer target: one that is less organized with people not in a readiness stance at all times.
These Post-Collapse Rules Will Keep You Alive
There are some rules to follow that are hard rules, but will serve you in good stead. They apply in a wartime situation, and they will apply equally in a disaster such as an apocalyptic event with societal collapse.
- Everybody Wants Something: they aren’t traveling toward your home turf for nothing. They want something: food, water, clothing, shelter, tools, or interest in the opposite sex. This last we’ll cover as an “individual item.” You need to find out what they want, and if they’re willing to trade something for it or if they’re just out scouting to raid (the more likely of the two choices).
- Discretion is the Better Part of Valor: Keep a cool head, a steady hand, an unflinching eye, and the ability to go into fighting mode in an instant. An aggressor will notice these things. He will want to assess your abilities. This also means keeping your cool. It doesn’t mean shutting up and allowing yourself to be verbally bullied into a corner. The enemy can sense weakness, as well. Mr. and Mrs. Hallmark? You’re going to have to step up and do your own dirty work…your own fighting for once. Better be smart and don’t bite off something that is bigger than you can chew.
- Interest in the Opposite Sex: This is a fact of life. The primary groups will be groups of men that are correlated directly with ancient hunting parties of old. These groups of men will no longer have rules they have to follow and they will want your wife, your daughter, or your sister. They will adhere to no rules or propriety. They will want children as well: girls or young boys. Let me be perfectly clear: you will have to kill them when they come for such.
- Cannibalism: Yes, cannibalism is always something you may have labeled as a “fluke” event, such as “Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors,” but it is not. There was an Army study years back that found that 1 human out of 1,000 will actively hunt other humans for food. I’m here to tell you, that number is grossly underestimated. Cannibalism begins almost immediately, at least within the first 1 to 2 weeks following a disaster. There is plenty of history out there to document it, such as the Donner Party, as well as a presentation done by the Discovery Channel. Be aware of it: they’ll be out there, and you need to be ready for them.
You need to continuously assess your fighting skills and training. Assess these realistically, and take into account your shortcomings. Learn to “pair” your preference with what is most effective. Although I can more than handle myself in a knife fight, I prefer to meet an attacker carrying a blade with a nice 24” Aluminum T-Ball bat. I’m here to tell you, when the bat is swinging? The bat is singing, and the song it’s playing is all mine. You have to find your own personal weapon of choice for “close encounters” where a firearm may not be able to be used.
In the end, taking care of yourself is a stance, and when the “S” hits the fan, the rules will disappear: they are as fragile as society itself, as fragile as cobwebs drenched with dew in the summer sun. A strong wind will blow them away, just as an event will blow down the Hallmark houses made of straw and blow away the thin veneer of civilization masking the underlying, atavistic barbarism along with it. Now is the time to assess yourself, make your plans, and execute those plans to strengthen your body, mind, and spirit to prepare for the times to come. JJ out!