PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Eleven people have been killed and a number of others injured after a shooting at The Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill on Saturday.

Police sources tell KDKA’s Andy Sheehan the gunman, 48-year-old Robert Bowers, walked into the building and yelled, “All Jews must die.” Sheehan’s sources also confirmed that eleven people have died. No children are among the deceased.

Bowers was reportedly armed with an AR-15 and three handguns.

robert bowers 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue

The initial call to 911 was made around 9:54 a.m. and officers were dispatched to the scene within a minute.

When officers arrived, the gunman reportedly shot at them, forcing officers to use their vehicles as a shield. Bowers was said to be exiting the building when he encountered a uniformed officer and went back inside. Eventually, he was pinned down on the third floor and apprehended.


The SWAT team had been talking with the suspect, and he was crawling and injured. It is unclear the extent of his injuries. He was taken into custody about 20 minutes after the initial call to 911.

It is believed that Bowers acted alone.

active shooter 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue


“I will emphasize at this time that there appears to be no active threat to the community. We believe the subject that is responsible for this has been taken into custody,” Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said.

Hissrich said at least six other people were injured, including four police officers. Two of the officers were among the first responders to the scene. The other two were members of the SWAT team. All were last listed in stable condition.

WATCH: Officials Hold Press Conference To Update Investigation:

One of the injured victims was a 61-year-old woman, while the other was a 70-year-old man. The man suffered gunshot wounds to the torso and was last listed in critical condition.

A total of four patients were taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital. As of 1:30 p.m., three were in surgery and one is stable and awaiting surgery.

One other patient was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital and was undergoing surgery as of 1:30 p.m.