In what looks to be a carefully orchestrated set up, the Nigerian men implicated in the Jussie Smollett attack told detectives that they were paid to stage the hate crime.
They are no longer suspects in the crime, and sources within the Chicago Police Department report that Jussie Smollett paid the men $3500.00 to stage an attack against him. They claim he also directed them to buy the items used in the fake assault and actually rehearsed it with them.
“Sources say at least one of the brothers bought the rope used in the incident at Smollett’s request. The sources also say the “Empire” actor paid for the rope, which was purchased at the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25.
“The brothers, who were questioned by police this week before being released, were paid $3,500 before leaving for Nigeria and were promised an additional $500 upon their return.
“They left for Nigeria later in the day on Jan. 29, after the attack.”
“New evidence that was brought to their attention, obviously I had it, my clients had it,” said Gloria Schmidt, the brothers’ attorney.
The Chicago Police Department released a statement Saturday night saying information from the brothers had “shifted the trajectory of the investigation.”
“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”
Smollett’s attorneys, Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson, issued a statement late Saturday saying Smollett was “angered and devastated” that the men implicated him in the crime.
“One of these purported suspects was Jussie’s personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video. It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity,” the statement said.
“Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured bleach while the other wore a plain red hat and yelled slurs at Smollett.
“The sources say the red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store and that the attack was supposed to happen before Jan. 29. The brothers told detectives the three men rehearsed the attack days prior to it happening.”
“Police said the two men — identified as Ola and Abel Osundairo — were captured on surveillance video at the time that Smollett said he was attacked.”
Smollett is sticking to his hate-crime story.
He claimed in a recent TV interview, “And then I see the attacker, masked. And he said, ‘This is MAGA country, n*****.’ Punches me right in the face. So, I punched his ass back,” Smollett said. “I think what people need to hear is just the truth.”
Since being released Friday night, the brothers are cooperating with police and have been staying in an undisclosed location.
Chicago police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said, “We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”
The entire incident seems like carefully crafted publicity stunt, used to enhance the so-called hate narrative against the president and give the mainstream media fodder for their attacks.
If Smollett is proven to have staged the incident, he could face three years in prison, and many people think that would not be long enough for a person who deliberately tried to stir racial hatred using a hoax.