Source: Evan James
Premier of Ontario Doug Ford has publicly apologized for the arbitrary and draconian COVID-19 restrictions imposed on the province this month.
Ford said at a news conference Thursday morning that “extremely troubling modeling” led his government to lock Ontario down with a level of harshness not seen since the beginning of the pandemic last year.
But he’s now admitting that some of the measures were completely beyond the pale.
“We moved too fast,” Ford said. “Simply put, we got it wrong. We made a mistake. These decisions, they left a lot of people really concerned. For that I am sorry, and I sincerely apologize.”
In a clip of the conference posted on Twitter by Disclose.tv, Ford gets visibly emotional while discussing the difficulty and inhumanity of ordinary Canadians’ sufferings during the recent lockdown.
Skyrocketing COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations throughout late March and most of April gave Ford’s government the justification to, among other things, close playgrounds and grant police unprecedented and arbitrary power to keep people off the streets.
Multiple sources told CBC News that the recent lockdown was instituted in a moment of panic and with zero evidence that it would help. Notably, the Ontario medical establishment did not endorse the decision to impose more draconian restrictions.
The sources also told CBC that Ford’s government may have even been motivated by political considerations, namely that Ford’s approval would suffer if he were perceived as not taking enough action.
Canada has been a prime example of both tyranny and complete ineptitude in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. Only 2.5 percent of Canadians have been fully vaccinated, compared to 25 percent of Americans. Police have also jailed pastors and even barricaded a church for violating restrictions.