Source: Darian Alexander 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford called for Canadians to end what he described as an “illegal occupation and blockade happening in Ontario.” The Canadian protestors who Ford is speaking against apparently created gridlock at Ontario’s Ambassador Bridge, stopping any vehicle from driving through.

“The ongoing illegal occupation and blockade happening in Ontario must stop,” the premier wrote. “The Ambassador Bridge is one of the most vital trade corridors in our country. The damage this is causing to our economy, to people’s jobs and their livelihoods is totally unacceptable. We cannot let this continue.”

“I have spoken to both Mayor Drew Dilkens and Mayor Mike Bradley and told them the province is ready to provide any support we can offer,” he continued.

“I remain confident that our police forces in Ontario, along with Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Canadian Border Services Agency, will take the appropriate steps to address the evolving situations in our cities and bring them to an end,” concluded Ford’s statement on Wednesday.

The premier suggested he harbors at least some sympathy towards the Canadian protestors advocating for freedom, but that they, with no hint of irony, must allow the people of Ontario to “get back to their lives.”

“There’s a million people that live in Ottawa. I hear you. I hear the protestors. The province hears the protestors. The country hears the protestors. Now it’s time to let the people in Ottawa get back to their lives,” said Ford.

Ford continued, apparently not realizing his seemingly contradictory suppositions that it is okay to stop a person’s livelihood if they work at a restaurant, but not when they are driving on the road.

“These businesses that have been closed for a while now—the restaurants want to reopen. I get it. I hear you, but we have to let the people of Ottawa live their lives,” he said.

Doug Ford notably made headlines last year after he published a tearful video apologizing for brutal Covid-19 restrictions that ravaged the lives of many; it appears the Canadian premier has since done an about-face given his recent rhetoric. Big League Politics covered it at the time.

“We moved too fast,” Ford said back in April of 2021. “Simply put, we got it wrong. We made a mistake. These decisions, they left a lot of people really concerned. For that I am sorry, and I sincerely apologize.”