Good Samaritan subdues suspect for 15 minutes until cops arrive

Posted BY: Dan Lyman

A man suspected of stealing and attacking customers and an employee at a convenience store in Chicago was neutralized by a martial arts expert who live-streamed his act of heroism, according to reports.

The wild incident unfolded on the evening of June 16 at a 7-Eleven in the Windy City.

Trending: 5 Reasons to Impeach Joe Biden

A suspected identified as 30-year-old Christopher Cruz allegedly stole items from the shop before returning and harassing customers.

Video footage appears to show the suspect aggressively leaning on a vehicle in the parking lot and attempting to engage the driver, who quickly speeds off.

Idriz Redzovic, owner of Supreme Jiu-Jitsu academy and 3rd-degree Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, witnessed the suspect’s behavior after arriving to purchase Slurpees for his kids.

“He comes up to me and says, ‘What are you looking at?’” Redzovic told Fox 32.

“In my training I tell people to take a step back, hands up, don’t engage unless you feel safe.”

Moments later, the suspect can be seen entering the shop and punching an employee in the doorway.

Redzovic promptly springs into action, grabbing the suspect from behind and pinning him to the floor.

“Once I saw him actually connect and hit the employee in his head, I jumped in, grabbed him like I do in training here, put him down, flattened him like a pancake, and then I tied him up like a pretzel in a position called ‘Gift Wrap’ or ‘Twisting Arm Control,’” Redzovic explained.

Redzovic then pulled out his phone and began live-streaming on Facebook while maintaining his hold on Cruz, who could be heard begging for mercy.

“You’re going to stay here until the cops come,” Redzovic says. “I’m not letting you go. You were harassing little girls and then you swung at the 7-Eleven employee.”

“What are you? Russian? Are you from Syria?” Cruz asks.

“No, I’m not. I’m Bosnian,” Redzovic answers.

“Come on man. We’re Bosnian homies,” Cruz claims.

“You’re a Bosnian nothing,” Redzovic retorts.

Redzovic held Cruz for nearly 15 minutes until Chicago police arrived and arrested the suspect.

Cruz was ultimately charged with misdemeanor retail theft and misdemeanor battery and released in less than five hours, according to records reviewed by CWB Chicago.