Posted BY: Jim Hoft

On Saturday morning, during the heatwave that swept the East Coast, a new electrically powered public transportation bus caught on fire as it sat in the bus parking lot, according to fire officials.

The Hamden Fire Department was dispatched to the CT Transit bus depot in order to extinguish the fire that had spread throughout the electric bus.

According to the authorities, the lithium-ion battery was responsible for the fire that broke out on the electric bus.

Trending: Digital Authoritarianism: AI Surveillance Signals The Death Of Privacy

“Lithium-ion battery fires are difficult to extinguish due to the thermal chemical process that produces great heat and continually reignites,” the fire officials said in a statement. “Exposures were protected at the scene.”

Read more