Posted BY: Wyatt | NwoReport
CINCINNATI — Northern Kentucky is following in the footsteps of Cincinnati as it closes its Ohio River water intakes ahead of possibly contaminated water from the East Palestine train derailment.
Northern Kentucky Water District (NKWD) announced Saturday that it is officially shutting off its Ohio River intakes as a “precautionary measure.” NKWD previously said on Feb. 10 that they intended to close down the water intakes as a precaution if chemicals from the train derailment continued downstream.
“Maintaining the safety of our community’s drinking water is our highest priority,” said Lindsey Rechtin, president and CEO of NKWD.
The decision also comes after Greater Cincinnati Water Works (GCWW) decided Friday to shut off its water intakes from the Ohio River and switch to reserves. GCWW said their decision came “out of an abundance of caution.”
NKWD serves roughly 300,000 people in Campbell and Kenton counties, as well as portions of Boone, Grant, and Pendleton counties. It also serves CVG airport.
“As a community member, I am grateful to know that the health of my family is safe because of their efforts,” Rechtin said.