Posted BY: | NwoReport

A 54-year-old man has died from a flesh-eating bacteria after consuming raw oysters prompting health officials to warn customers to throw out any shellfish bought from the same seafood stall.

The St. Louis County Public Health Department said the man from Missouri was infected with Vibrio vulnificus – a disease triggered by consuming the bacteria Vibrio.

Normally, this is ingested through eating oysters and other raw or undercooked shellfish.

The man, who has not yet been identified, had recently consumed raw oysters from The Fruit Stand & Seafood in Manchester, BNO News reports.

He died on Thursday despite efforts to save him at St. Clare Hospital. Health officials were made aware of the tragedy the following day.

Trending: New Indictment Helps Trump Widen Lead Over 2024 Primary Field

There is no evidence that the business did anything to contaminate the oysters, which likely were already contaminated when the establishment received them,’ the health department said in a statement.

Full Story