Top U.S. general says he would reject ‘illegal’ nuclear strike order from President Trump

November 20, 2017 1 comment

What happened?

The U.S. military’s top nuclear general said Saturday he would reject an order from President Donald Trump to launch a nuclear warhead if he deemed it “illegal.”

Gen. John Hyten, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command — also known as STRATCOM — said at the Halifax International Security Forum in Canada on Saturday that he has thought about what he would do if Trump gave an order that was illegal — and he knows exactly how he would react.

Hyten’s comments came in response to a question about the scenario. According to CBS News, Hyten said:

I think some people think we’re stupid. We’re not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility, how do you not think about it?I provide advice to the president, he will tell me what to do. And if it’s illegal, guess what’s going to happen? I’m going to say, “Mr. President, that’s illegal.” And guess what he’s going to do? He’s going to say, “What would be legal?” And we’ll come up with options, with a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that’s the way it works. It’s not that complicated.

What would be an illegal order?

Well, it would depend on the situation. But Hyten said that each year he is retrained in the law of military armed conflict. According to CBS such factors that would determine the legality of a nuclear strike include, “necessity, distinction, proportionality, unnecessary suffering,” among other factors.

However, Hyten was clear what would happen if an unlawful strike was ordered and executed.

“If you execute an unlawful order, you will go to jail. You could go to jail for the rest of your life,” he said.

The top general said the military routinely practices what they would do if an illegal order is requested.

President Trump adds five conservatives to list of possible Supreme Court picks

November 20, 2017 Leave a comment

James Oliphant and Andrew Chung

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – In a move certain to please conservatives, President Donald Trump on Friday added five names to his list of candidates for a prospective U.S. Supreme Court vacancy as he presses ahead with a campaign to move the federal judiciary to the right.

Two of them are appellate judges who were nominated by Trump earlier this year and confirmed by the Senate: Amy Coney Barrett and Kevin Newsom. Another, Brett Kavanaugh, sits on the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, long viewed as a stepping-stone to the high court.

The others were Britt Grant, a Georgia Supreme Court justice, and Patrick Wyrick, a Oklahoma Supreme Court justice.

There is no current vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court but three justices are 79 or older.

During his presidential campaign last year, Trump identified 20 conservative candidates for the Supreme Court. Upon taking office, he named Neil Gorsuch to the court to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia, restoring the Supreme Court’s conservative majority. Gorsuch was confirmed by the Senate in April and has established himself as one of the Supreme Court’s most conservative justices.

Speaking at a Federalist Society conference of conservative legal advocates, White House Counsel Donald McGahn said Trump is “very committed” to appointing judges who are “committed originalists and textualists,” referring to a legal philosophy that relies on the actual wording of laws and the original meaning of the U.S. Constitution.

“They all have paper trails. They all are sitting judges. There is nothing unknown about them. What you see is what you get,” McGahn said.

The five jurists, all with strong conservative credentials, were added to the list with input from conservative leaders, and should another seat on the court open up, Trump will nominate a candidate from the updated list of 25, the White House said.

Leonard Leo, an advisor to the president on Supreme Court nominations, said Trump thought it was time to refresh the original list. “When you’re committed to picking from a list you want to make sure it’s as complete as possible,” Leo said in an interview.

Kavanaugh, who was appointed to the federal bench in 2006 by Republican former President George W. Bush, served as a White House counsel under Bush and worked as an assistant to Kenneth Starr, the independent counsel who investigated Democratic former President Bill Clinton during the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Grant and Wyrick both joined state challenges to the Affordable Care Act, Democratic former President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law, and Obama regulations aimed at reducing emissions from coal-burning power plants, said Carrie Severino, chief counsel of the Judicial Crisis Network, a conservative legal advocacy group.

KENNEDY IS PIVOTAL JUSTICE

The court currently consists of five conservatives and four liberals, with conservative Justice Anthony Kennedy sometimes joining with the liberals on high-profile issues such as gay rights and abortion.

At 81, Kennedy is the second-oldest justice on the court behind liberal Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 84, and some former Kennedy clerks have said he is considering retirement. Liberal Justice Stephen Breyer is 79.

Should any of those step down, Trump would get a historic opportunity to shape the court in a more conservative direction for decades to come. Supreme Court appointments are lifetime jobs.

Conservatives criticize the federal judiciary as too liberal, and Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the same conference lashed out at “activist judges.”

Trump already has taken steps to make the federal judiciary more conservative, with 14 judicial appointees already confirmed by the Senate and more in the pipeline.

Catherine Glenn Foster, president of the anti-abortion advocacy group Americans United for Life, said she was pleased with the new selections. “From their known records they tend to be strong on recognizing the protections for life,” she said in an interview.

On Friday, Republican Alabama Governor Kay Ivey said she would support her party’s Senate candidate Roy Moore, who has been accused by several women of unwanted sexual contact, because of the importance of keeping the Senate under Republican control should another Supreme Court vacancy arise.

(Reporting by James Oliphant and Andrew Chung; Additional reporting by Lawrence Hurley and Eric Beech; Editing by Will Dunham)

Mainstream Media Is Spreading Fake News About Marijuana Killing a Baby

November 20, 2017 Leave a comment

(ANTIMEDIA) —This week the news cycle was flooded with mainstream headlines suggesting doctors were claiming have discovered the first marijuana overdose.

We’re revolutionizing the news industry, but we need your help! Click here to get started.

“Doctors claim baby’s 2015 death was caused by marijuana overdose,” a Fox News headline claimed.

“Baby boy is first marijuana overdose death, doctors claim,” wrote AOL and the New York Daily News.

Local Colorado NBC affiliate 9 News headlined their article “Colorado doctors claim first marijuana overdose death.”

Except that wasn’t what the doctors who investigated the baby’s death said in their report.

According to the doctors, the baby had been lethargic and retching in the days leading up to his hospitalization. An autopsy found the baby had myocarditis, a condition that inflames the heart muscles and causes them to stop working.

The doctors did acknowledge the presence of cannabis in the baby’s system. “The presence of THC metabolites in the patient’s urine and serum, most likely secondary to ingestion, is the only uncovered risk factor in the etiology for his myocarditis,” they wrote.

They even documented the link between cannabis and the condition in other research:

 “The link between cannabis use and myocarditis has been documented in multiple teenagers and young adults.”

Further, they urged research into the potential relationship, saying “we believe there exists a plausible relationship that justifies further research into cannabis-associated cardiotoxicity and related practice adjustments.”

Nevertheless, they also cautioned that there were limitations in their report, citing “the case study design, the limitations on interpreting an exact time, dose and route of cannabis exposure, the specificity of histopathology being used to classify etiology of myocarditis, and inconsistent blood culture results.”

In their discussion, they carefully explained that “As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure.” In other words, there was correlation – not causation. They did not conclude cannabis caused the death, though media outlets reported they had.

As those headlines emerged, one of the doctors spoke out to clarify.

We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child,” said Thomas Nappe, one of the co-authors. Nappe is currently the director of medical toxicology at St. Luke’s University Health Network in Bethlehem, Pa, and is listed as affiliated with Denver Health and Hospital Authority’s Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center in the report. Christopher O. Hoyte of University of Colorado School of Medicine at Anschutz Medical Center, who also authored the report, was reportedly unavailable for an interview, according to the Washington Post.

According to the Post, “Nappe emphasized that the word ‘associated’ should not be interpreted as indicating a cause and effect.”

Even if cannabis did cause the death, explained Keith Humphreys, an addiction specialist and professor of psychiatry at Stanford University, it would be “a very unusual event.” He said cannabis poses “virtually no risk.”

Even so, the doctors were clear that more research is needed and cautioned parents to keep cannabis away from children.

In states where cannabis is legalized, it is important that physicians not only counsel parents on preventing exposure to cannabis, but to also consider cannabis toxicity in unexplained pediatric myocarditis and cardiac deaths as a basis for urine drug screening in this setting.

Based on media reports, Noah Kaufman, a Northern Colorado emergency room physician, disapproved of claims that cannabis caused the overdose.

You just can’t make those statements because then what happens is lay people say, ‘Oh my God, did you hear a kid died from marijuana poisoning?’ and it can be sensationalized. It’s not based on reality. It’s based on somebody kind of jumping the gun and making a conclusion, and scientifically you can’t do that.”

Upon hearing the doctors hadn’t made those certain claims, he said “that’s more responsible,” those his previous assessment of jumping the gun do still apply to the media outlets that incorrectly covered the story.

Cernovich Promises to Expose Top Democrat Accused of Sexual Harassment Tonight

November 20, 2017 Leave a comment

Alleged abuser is ranking member of investigative committee

 

Reporter Mike Cernovich has promised to reveal new sexual harassment claims against a top Democrat who is a ranking member of an investigative committee later today.

On the same day that NYT reporter Glenn Thrush was exposed as having groped and kissed a number of female journalists, a potentially bigger bombshell is imminent.

Senator Al Franken was also hit by revelations from a second accuser, Lindsay Menz, who said Franken groped her backside in front of her husband during a photo at the Minnesota State Fair in 2010.

Meanwhile, Bill Clinton is reportedly facing sexual assault accusations from four new women in the early 2000s, when Clinton was working with playboy billionaire investor Ron Burkle.

Cernovich has vowed to add another prominent name to the rapidly expanding list of politicians, journalists and entertainers who have been accused of abusing women in recent weeks.

“Ranking Democrat on major committee accused of several harassment by multiple women. Huge scandal. Developing…,” he tweeted yesterday.

With Franken refusing to resign despite the building allegations against him, whoever is named later expect the mainstream media to start running defense immediately exactly as they did after revelations about the Minnesota Senator first broke last week.

ISIS Officially ‘Defeated’ but the US Will Stay in Syria

November 20, 2017 Leave a comment

Russia questions what the US goal in Syria has become.

(ANTIWAR.COM) — US military intentions in Syria have never been exactly transparent, but are becoming ever less so, as Pentagon officials loudly declare ISIS to have been “defeated” in the country, but insist that they intend to remain.

We’re revolutionizing the news industry, but we need your help! Click here to get started.

This is a potential major legal issue, because Syria never authorized the US invasion in the first place. US officials always presented the authorization as being UN resolutions supporting the fight against ISIS, but that would no longer apply.

Moreover, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has pointed out that Secretary of State Tillerson has repeatedly assured him that the “only” US goal in Syria is to fight ISIS. This is adding to Russian concerns about what the US is actually planning on doing next.

Secretary of Defense James Mattis is trying to present this as keeping “ISIS 2.0” from coming into existence. While this is also the pretext for staying in Iraq, there is a major difference between a permanent deployment in Iraq that the US-backed government there supports, and trying to stay in Syria forever despite explicit opposition from the Syrian government.

Shock: Black Death Patients Are ESCAPING The Hospital Over Fear Of Needles As Officials Worry Plague Could Spread

November 20, 2017 Leave a comment

nintchdbpict000367731054

Patients in Madagascar who are currently suffering from the plague have “escaped” multiple hospitals in the area over fears of needles and hospital treatment as a whole, according to a shocking report in The Sun newspaper.

Security guards with at least one hospital have been tasked with forcefully keeping black death patients in the hospital as well as following the strict safety procedures set up in an attempt to quell the outbreak.

The Sun reported:

Officials at the hospital say the main reason why patients run away is that they are scared of needles and don’t have much experience of hospitals.

Jean Benoit Manhes, the deputy representative of Unicef, told the Irish Times: “Some escaped because they’re afraid of needles. People here are not used to the hospital.

“The problem of plague is not just a medical response. You can have hospitals but if people don’t come it isn’t enough.”

Such incidents have prompted fears that the plague could spread even further with each confirmed case requiring 20 people have been in contact with to be treated as a precaution.

Malagasy people have also been told not to carry out their traditional burial tradition of Famidihana which involves digging up their dead relatives every seven years.

It means ‘turning the bones’ and sees families cleaning the remains, rewrapping them and reburying them while other family members perform a special dance.

The African island’s government has told citizens to pause the tradition for fear the plague bacteria is still active in the corpses and can be spread to the living.

News of infected patients running away from hospitals comes on the heels of reports that it is only a matter of time before the plague becomes resistant to the antibiotics that are currently being used to treat the outbreak.

Mac Slavo recently reported for SHTFplan:

The newest warning about the outbreak of the airborne pneumonic plague, or black death, in Madagascar has been released. Officials warn that it’s inevitable that this bacterial infection that’s infected over 2000 people will become resistant to antibiotics.

The only way to treat a person who has contracted the plague is with antibiotics. But experts now warn that because they are being used so much to treat the infection, antibiotics resistance is inevitable and making this disease much more terrifying.

Once the bacteria is resistant, the Madagascar healthcare system will be overwhelmed, and the disease will have control of the nation.

As Slavo noted, should the disease spread to the African mainland, one can assume that it will be all but impossible to control, thus increasing the likelihood of global pandemic.

FBI Informant Has Video of Russian Agents, Bribe Money In Clinton-Uranium Scandal

November 20, 2017 Leave a comment

(Zero Hedge) An undercover FBI informant in the Russian nuclear industry who was made to sign an “illegal NDA” by former AG Loretta Lynch, claims to have video evidence showing Russian agents with briefcases full of bribe money related to the controversial Uranium One deal – according to The Hill investigative journalist John Solomon and Circa‘s Sara Carter.

The informant, whose identity was revealed by Reuters as William D. Campbell, will testify before congress next week after the NDA which carried the threat of prison time was lifted.

Campbell, originally misidentifed by Reuters as a lobbyist is actually a nuclear industry consultant who is currently battling cancer.

As previously reported, Campbell was deeply embedded in the Russian nuclear industry where he gathered extensive evidence of a racketeering scheme involving bribes and kickbacks.

RELATED: Dem Tony Podesta Lobbied for Russian Company, Did Not File as Foreign Agent

The Russians were compromising American contractors in the nuclear industry with kickbacks and extortion threats, all of which raised legitimate national security concerns. And none of that evidence got aired before the Obama administration made those decisions,” a person who worked on the case told The Hill, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution by U.S. or Russian officials. –The Hill

Campbell’s attorney, former Regan Justice Department official Victoria Toensing, previously told Fox Business host Lou Dobbs “He can tell what all the Russians were talking about during the time that all these bribery payments were made…”

Original Source

%d bloggers like this: